José, you might want to watch LUCENE-2392.

In this issue, we are proposing adding additional flexibility to the scoring
mechanism including:
* controlling scoring on a per-field basis
* the ability to compute and use aggregate statistics (average field length,
total TF across all docs)
* fine-grained calculation of the score: essentially at the end of the day
if you want, you can implement score() in your Similarity and do whatever
you want, so things like tf() and idf() as methods "go away" in that they
might not even make sense for your scorer. So, SimilarityProvider in this
model gets the flexibility of Scorer hopefully without the hassles.

As far as combining scores across fields, I do not see why