Hi Robert,

thank you very much for your quick response, I have a couple of questions,

did you read the papers that I mention in my e-mail?
do you think that Lucene ranking function could have this problem?

My concern is not about how to implement different kind of ranking
functions for Lucene, I know that you are doing a very nice work to
implement a very flexible ranking framework for Lucene, my concern is
about a bug, which is independent of the ranking function that you are
using and which appears whether some kind of saturation function is
used in combination with a linear combination of fields for structured
documents.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if the linear combination of fields remains in
lucene ranking function core, Lucene is never going to work properly
to compute the score for structured documents.

I know how to solve the problem, and we have our own implementation of
BM25F for Lucene which performance is much better that standard
Lucene's ranking function, but I think that would be useful for other
Lucene users to know what is the problem to deal with structured
documents, and how to fix this problem for the next version,
independently what ranking function is finally implemented for Lucene.

jose