2011/8/29 Uwe Schindler <u...@thetaphi.de>:
> Why do you need to know the subreader? If you want to get the document's
> stored fields, use the MultiReader.
>
> If you really want to know the subreader, use this:
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_3_0/api/core/org/apache/lucene/util/ReaderUtil.html#subReader(int,
>  org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader)
>
> But this is "somewhat slow", so don’t use in inner loops.
>
> Devon suggested:
>> If I'm understanding your question correctly, in the Collector, you are told
>> which IndexReader you are working with when the setNextReader method is
>> called. Hopefully that helps.
>
> This does not work as expected, because the Collector gets the lowest level
> readers, which are in fact sub-sub-readers (as each single IndexReader
> contains itself of more "SegmentReaders", unless you have optimized
> sub-indexes).

Sure, I just had no idea what was trying to be accomplished. You can
work backwards constructing some kind of data structure that loops
over the subreaders when you open the indexes and have a map that
points from subreader -> main reader. That's really not such a big
deal if you do it once, but still has overhead if you're updating a
lot and are doing NRT stuff.

Anyway, you're right, I phrased that rather poorly. And I don't have
any idea what you'd do with that other than maybe some caching stuff.

--dho