Grant,

for years the ActiveMath learning environment has been using as storage engine.
At the time (~2004), it was by far the best storage engine ever doable in a
pure java-world.
Now it still is perfect in terms of performance.
We had an issue with the separate versions where the stored-fields were not
lazily loaded (~version 1.x-2.0) so that we do not store the big fragments yet
there. However, for small fragments it's very very efficient (~5000 queries a
second).

The objects stored are fragments of XML documents (the format is called OMDoc,
they're mostly hand-written).

Tell me if you need more details, I am sure the pure storage option is
something very common.

paul