>>  > Avg lookup time slightly less than a HashSet? Interesting.

Scratch that. A new dataset and revised code shows HashSets out in front (but
still not a realistic option for very large sets) : http://goo.gl/Lb4J1

In this benchmark I removed the code common to all previous tests which was
first retrieving a random key from a test query Lucene index to then look up in
the target Set ( a choice of database, hashset or a different Lucene index).

I assumed that being common code to all tests, this initial Lucene-based fetch
would not bias results but it was. Now the tests first load a random sample of
100k keys from a flat file *then* start the timer on the look-ups.
I'm also using public domain Wikipedia data so can release the code and data
somewhere if that's of interest.

Cheers
Mark