NoMP means no merges, and indeed it seems silly that NoMP distinguishes
between compound/non-compound settings. Perhaps it's rooted somewhere in
the past, I don't remember.

I checked and IndexWriter.addIndexes consults
MP.useCompoundFile(segmentInfo) when it adds the segments. But maybe
NoMP.useCompoundFile can be changed to return
newSegment.info.isCompoundFile? I.e. it doesn't change the type of the new
segment?

Shai