This JIRA is "complicated", don't really expect it in 4.9 as it's
been hanging around for quite a while. Everyone would like this,
but it's not easy.

Atomic updates will work, but you have to stored="true" for all
source fields. Under the covers this actually reads the document
out of the stored fields, deletes the old one and adds it
over again.

FWIW,
Erick