A custom query could improve on the situation by not pulling multiple
docs/positions enum for a single term.  E.g. the patch on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5288 (which never got
committed: too controversial) has such a query, letting you customize
how positions are scored for boolean term query matches.  Maybe you
could start from it and see how performance compares vs the
SpanFirstQuery approach...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com