Hi.,

About G1GC. We consistently see problems when running the Lucene Testsuite with
G1GC enabled. The people from Elasticsearch concluded:

"There is a newer GC called the Garbage First GC (G1GC). This newer GC is
designed to minimize pausing even more than CMS, and operate on large heaps. It
works by dividing the heap into regions and predicting which regions contain
the most reclaimable space. By collecting those regions first (garbage first),
it can minimize pauses and operate on very large heaps.

Sounds great! Unfortunately, G1GC is still new, and fresh bugs are found
routinely. These bugs are usually of the segfault variety, and will cause hard
crashes. The Lucene test suite is brutal on GC algorithms, and it seems that
G1GC hasn’t had the kinks worked out yet.

We would like to recommend G1GC someday, but for now, it is simply not stable
enough to meet the demands of Elasticsearch and Lucene."
(http://www.elasticsearch.org/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/_don_8217_t_touch_these_settings.html)

In fact, the problems with G1GC can sometimes lead to index corruption, and are
hard to reproduce. So better don't use...

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen