Okay. I agree with you, Taxonomy maintains and supports hierarchical facets
during indexing. Hope hierarchical in the sense, we might index the field
Publish date : 2010/10/15 as Publish date: 2010 , Publish date: 2010/10
and Publish date: 2010/10/15 , their facet ordinals are maintained in
sidecar index and it is mapped to the main index.

For example:

                In search-lucene.com , I enter a term (say facet), top
documents and their categories are displayed after performing the search.
Say I drill down through Publish date/2010 to collect its child counts and
after I will pass through publishdate/2010/10 to collect their child
counts. And for each drill down, each search will be performed to collect
its top docs and categories.

               *Even I can achieve this in flat facets by changing the
drill down query. *

Am I right or missed anything? yet I don't know if I missed anything...

So What is the need of hierarchical facets? Could you please explain
it(hierarchical facets) in the real-world use case?

Regards,
Chitra