I think you've summed up exactly the differences!

And, yes, it would be possible to emulate hierarchical facets on top
of flat facets, if the hierarchy is fixed depth like year/month/day.

But if it's variable depth, it's trickier (but I think still
possible).  See e.g. the Committed Paths drill-down on the left, on
our dog-food server
http://jirasearch.mikemccandless.com/search.py?index=jira

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com