case 1:
        In taxonomy, for each indexed document, examines facet label ,
computes their ordinals and mappings, and which will be stored in sidecar
index at index time.

case 2:
        In doc values, these(ordinals) are computed at search time, so
there will be a time and memory trade-off between both cases, hope so.

In taxonomy, building hierarchical facets at index time makes faceting cost
minimal at search time than flat facets in doc values.

Except (memory,time and NRT latency) , Is any another contrast between
hierarchical and flat facets at search time?

Kindly post your suggestions...

Regards,
Chitra