Mik,

Last question: Are you (SUN) going to make an official announcement of the
upcoming new hardware accelerated Java2D technology in close time ?

Answering these questions on the interest list and posting whitepapers on performance and features is about as "official" as we get. I doubt there's going to be a speech by Scott McNealy on Java2D acceleration anytime soon, if that's what you were interested in...

We're not making a huge deal out of the OpenGL support currently
because it is disabled by default due to the driver and hardware
issues that have already been mentioned.  With flag-enabled
acceleration, it's more important to get the message out to the
right community; developers who would like to experiment and
see how well it works for them in their situations.

Chet.