Hi Michele,

  take a look at this JavaOne presentation by the Java2D team members.
  I think you'll find exactly what you need:
  "Advanced Java 2D API Topics for Desktop Applications: TS-3214, 2005"
    http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/2005/desktop/TS-3214.pdf
    http://developers.sun.com/learning/javaoneonline/2005/desktop/TS-3214.html

  Thanks,
    Dmitri