I share your pain having been through this myself in the past and
giving up the search.

I don't think its the calendar thing, its the desktop integration side
of things.  Most people want pop up warnings about upcoming meetings
or to see their calendars inline with their mail client - or to have
the calendar integrate with AD/LDAP -  A lot of these web app ones hit
the wall when it comes to that.

Whilst I was writing this something pinged in my memory from a blog I
was reading, have you looked at this Sun's calendar server?

http://www.sun.com/software/products/calendar_srvr/
http://www.sun.com/software/products/calendar_srvr/features.xml

I quote: "Provides state-of-the-art integrated AJAX Web client and
support for multiple rich clients including Microsoft Outlook"