First order of business for Sun marketing is never pay any mind or
give any notice of the second string competition of the likes of
Silverlight. Concentrate on the #1 player - Adobe Flex/AIR.

Second item - go after Adobe AIR. This is the place where JavaFX
(founded on a Java SE runtime) can definitely be the most competitive.
And especially target corporate IT development more so than consumer
web. JavaFX has a hard sell for the consumer web crowd - the corporate
IT space much more approachable. (Remember, there was already a
significant presence of Swing in this space.)

The mere existence of bridge solutions, such as Merapi, indicate that
AIR is not nearly powerful enough in its current incarnation. It is
extremely difficult to do serious, production quality software systems
for the corporate IT space in AIR all by itself. It has numerous
deficiencies that one resorts to Merapi/Java to solve.

I stick with AIR because the bulk of our application is a Flex web app
that is being remotely loaded from the web server (we're building
hybrid RIA applications). AIR (and by extension Merapi/Java) do some
additional crucial functionality that is only possible for desktop
software. I also stick with Flex in general because it's an excellent
GUI toolkit. But AIR is not Java SE. AIR has some completely maddening
shortcomings relative to Java SE. I hope Adobe will shore up AIR
because there's no extensibility ala something like JNI. I really
don't relish a long term approach of AIR/Merapi/Java.