On Apr 7, 5:12 pm, Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com> wrote:
> I wonder if the real issue here is that Sun's TCK is really too weak to
> ensure adequate compatibility of a completely disparate implementations
> and that Sun has only recently discovered that allowing implementations
> that didn't start with their code and then deviate (and thus have many
> of the same undocumented behaviors) to certify with it would allow an
> unacceptable level of incompatibility.

I can't really speculate on Sun's motivations beyond what is public
record. I don't think it is in dispute that the TCK doesn't cover
every last detail of the Java SE platform - you can read the user
guide freely -
http://openjdk.java.net/groups/conformance/docs/JCK6bUsersGuide/index.html

Personally, I am sceptical that is the only reason for preventing
Harmony from obtaining the testing kit - others have speculated/
indicated financial motives:

"Some off-the-record sources chatted with me about it and I now feel
like I have a bit more of a sense of what it's all about. Here's the
punchline: The dispute between Sun and the ASF over a Java SE
implementation, which resulted in a no vote on Java EE? At its heart,
it's about making an end run around Java ME."
http://www.javaworld.com/community/node/2601

Stephen