Netbeans support of other languages makes it a winner in a mixed
environment that other IDEs just don't cope with so well.  I used to
use IntelliJ, and it's awesome for Java work, but I also have to deal
with a legacy PHP app and do SQL work and Python work.  This makes
Netbeans the only IDE that is practical for me at this point (I've
always been shocked at how bad Eclipse is, and that the vi plugin for
it is non-free, and has HUGE bugs).  I would be heartbroken if Oracle
decides to take Netbeans away, since 6.5, and now 6.7 beta are awesome
releases that make my daily work much easier and faster.  I wouldn't
have even tried Netbeans again had I not heard about it on Java Posse,
and the 6.5 release, and then about 6.7 supporting Maven (we just
moved to maven).

Alex