Alex Turner wrote:
> Netbeans support of other languages makes it a winner in a mixed
> environment that other IDEs just don't cope with so well.  I used to
> use IntelliJ, and it's awesome for Java work, but I also have to deal
> with a legacy PHP app and do SQL work and Python work.  This makes
> Netbeans the only IDE that is practical for me at this point (I've
> always been shocked at how bad Eclipse is, and that the vi plugin for
> it is non-free, and has HUGE bugs).  I would be heartbroken if Oracle
> decides to take Netbeans away, since 6.5, and now 6.7 beta are awesome
> releases that make my daily work much easier and faster.  I wouldn't
> have even tried Netbeans again had I not heard about it on Java Posse,
> and the 6.5 release, and then about 6.7 supporting Maven (we just
> moved to maven).

Hmm....

For a good number of folk 6.7's project scanning performance is such a
big step backwards that a 6.7 release without fixing it seems like a
sure way to make up Oracle's mind for them -- the release would kill
NetBeans for them whether they want to or not.

Otherwise, however, I agree.  If the NetBeans team could focus on
actually getting this project scanning and source navigation/completion
to be as fast as possible and for scanning not to disable navigation (as
it is impossible to scan fast enough for really large projects so that
the scan time is not a noticeable stumbling block to one's work
otherwise), then I see really great things for it.  There seems to be
many users on nbusers who like me have been waiting since R4 for this to
be addressed.  During this time it's been at best 1 step forward and 2
back with each release (not 2 forward and 1 back, mind you.  All the
other language support does not mean a thing if it stumbles on the most
basic and critical Java IDE functionality.

--
Jess Holle