I really don't think you guys should waste time writing plugins for
Gimp and Inkscape, as you mentioned these are not the tools most
designers are using. I would rather have a version of the plugins that
work in Photoshop CS2 since my work computer doesn't have the latest
and greatest!

More important is to finish the JavaFX Design tool, and maybe coming
up with some scaled down JFX Matisse of some type for Netbeans. It is
kind of odd, that is it easier to visually compose a quick GUI in
Swing/Matisse than in JFX at the moment.

Documenting the FXZ file format is a great idea, Gimp is easily
extensible (not sure about Inkscape) so this is  a perfect fit for a
community/open source project.

Augusto