Can we stop the name-calling?   On the scala list serves, I usually reserve
pictures of fluffy,furry, cute and cuddly kittens to help quell heated
pointless arguments.

If you listen to the podcast again, you'll notice they specifically say that
they didn't feel Sun could afford the time waiting for the OSGi-alliance to
update themselves based on Sun's requirements.  To this extent I do agree
that Java really needs modularity.  However it is also understandable how
this would make the OSGi camp feel.   Sun is basically saying, "Although you
may have a good product, we can't affrod to wait around for your standards
committee.  We're going to do what we need and let OSGi follow along."  This
is far different from Sun's previous approaches (think EJB).

The good news is that it sounds like the Jigsaw + OSGi folks are at least
talking.  I don't think a merged approach to modularity will   take long to
follow the release of JDK 7.  That is of course, assuming Jigsaw succeeds.

I think the biggest complaint coming from OSGi users (myself included) is
that I don't want to have to deal with the complexity of 2 modularity
tools.  It's painful enough dealing with 2-3 different logging mechanisms
accross 4-5 libraries.  Competition is good, but integration is hard.

I'm just waiting for the modularity communities to start making "abstract
modules" that define services that can be implemented by venders.   Anyone
remember CORBA?

- Josh