On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Ruben Reusser <rube...@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I always felt the compelling reason to switch from C/C++ to java was that
> there was a good set of libraries that came with java making my life easier
> to develop web application and break from the cgi scripts - Java had a good
> looking socket library that was easy to understand, nice file handling and
> an ok looking GUI library for little inhouse tools (compared to having to
> understand MFC and the windows UI programming model). Java was easier than
> C/C++ and it felt like developers would not have to be so smart to actually
> write good code - so overall it seemed to make good business sense to bet
> your next app on Java instead of C/C++.
>
> If one wants to replace java today, what do you think it would take? Is it
> going to be enough to just have a nicer, easier language? Would one need a
> set of API's with the language that solve some big problems we have today
> (and what problem is there to solve)? Is it necessary to provide a good IDE
> for the language right from the start?
>
> Would love to hear your comments.

My personal belief:

A language that is expressive enough to write code that makes advanced
functionality easy to abstract into a nice, clean syntax for business
developers.
So as a library consumer I can focus on getting my business rules correct
and as a library producer I can create complex solutions that are easy for
the consumer to consume.

For me, this means:
1) Reducing line noise/boiler plate code
2) Strongly typed
3) Statically typed
4) Good tooling (IDE support et al)
5) A rich, open-source, library ecosystem

--
Viktor Klang
Scala Loudmouth