On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 18:13, Ruben Reusser<rube...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi there,
>
> I always felt the compelling reason to switch from C/C++ to java was that
> there was a good set of libraries that came with java making my life easier
> to develop web application and break from the cgi scripts - Java had a good
> looking socket library that was easy to understand, nice file handling and
> an ok looking GUI library for little inhouse tools (compared to having to
> understand MFC and the windows UI programming model). Java was easier than
> C/C++ and it felt like developers would not have to be so smart to actually
> write good code - so overall it seemed to make good business sense to bet
> your next app on Java instead of C/C++.
>
> If one wants to replace java today, what do you think it would take? Is it
> going to be enough to just have a nicer, easier language? Would one need a
> set of API's with the language that solve some big problems we have today
> (and what problem is there to solve)? Is it necessary to provide a good IDE
> for the language right from the start?
>
> Would love to hear your comments.

(1) Provide the abstractions necessary to eliminate mindless
repetition and boiler-plate code.
(2) Have a [static] type system that allows me to express my intent.
[But don't melt my brain.]
(3) Emphasize immutability and provide data structures that make this
efficient and natural.
(4) Good tooling (IDE + maven)
(5) Be able to interface with existing Java code.
(6) Performance shouldn't suck unnecessarily.

I'm currently taking my first serious dive in closure and can already
see that it is strong on the following points: (1) thanks to higher
order functions, closures and macros. (3) the included implementations
of list/vector/map are brilliant on this count and mesh very well with
the built-in concurrency abstractions. (5) Is well supported.

I've dabbled with Scala before and intend to give it a more serious
look when 2.8 comes out. I can see strength there in (2) and
anticipate improvements in the IDE story (4). (5) Interfacing with
Java has always been good.

// Ben