Yeah, I think thats the only real way to do it.  I don't even know if
the google 'add' works, and if it does, legitimate (non-spamy) links
to your site are the way to go.  I'm sure google groups gets indexed
regularity (if not right away).

Google has metrics to detect if your trying to increase your page rank
unduly.  I'm sure putting the link 1000 times in white text on a white
background DOESN'T help. :)