Alexander Egger wrote:
>> Did anyone ever try Jambi?
>>

> I used Qt/Jambi in a Student project to develop a Breakout style game.

Qt is always good for games :-) I remember going through the cannon
tutorial with some highschool students years ago. Teaching them C++ was
hard, but the fact that they could write something that was fun to play
with afterwards certainly helped. And oddly enough the two-player
version we extrapolated from the tutorial was actually fun in a Tetris
kind of way.
> Great performance. Nice (native) looking. Great cross platform story.
> Easy to use. Sometimes strange if comes to garbage collection.

Could you elaborate? That's the dirt I want to hear about :-)
> More or less similar to the .Net/Mono approach. Just a small layer
> over the native C++ libs (in Jambis case Qt).
>
> Always wondered why not more people are using it. But it seams that
> Swing or SWT are good enough in most cases.

The one big thing in favour of Swing is the cross-platform story. My
personal feeling about SWT is that it is more of a herd-instinct than
anything logical. I personally find it way to painful as long as there
is no automated resource management in Java.

That's the type of problem I could see in Jambi, too: in SWT you need to
manage all resources coming from the environment. That includes innocent
seeming things like color objects, which need to be disposed off
properly (i.e. in finally blocks) or you start leaking. I suspect Jambi
might suffer from the same problem.

  Peter