I guess Gore could argue that without his decision, the internet would
not exist as it does today.  It would have come about one way or
another, but it might not have been in the same form.  I like to think
it would have evolved as a huge array or cybernetic carrier pigeons
with freakin' lasers on their heads.

So he was a facilitator.  Much like the producer credit on a film.

In my BBS days, around 1991 I wrote a 'spec' for an Amiga Windowing
based "File Explorer", Chat client and FTP client, which communicated
via a multiplexed communications protocol.  So in that respect, I
invented the internet as well.  All this stuff probably existed, i
just didn't know about it (ironically, because i didn't have an inter-
web. :)  But the things I wanted were just kind of obvious and a
natural progression.