Well...

For starters, stack traces report against line numbers and line numbers
are meaningless is you can't agree on what's on which line.

Once this was solved or even limiting oneself to formatting within a
line, it might be nice if indentation and formatting would be just while
one was editing or viewing code and to suit your own preferences.  This
assumes (1) everyone is using such a smart tool all the time and (2)
that the indentation/formatting engine is /really /smart [every free
indentation/formatting engine I've seen needed manual help to produce
results I could live with -- I've not paid for an engine though...].
Things really fall apart on (1).  There are at least 3 IDEs with major
usage.  Apart from this, I and most folk I know do a lot of quick "in
the trenches" reading of code snippets in e-mail, via dumb but quick
editors (e.g. vim, TextPad, etc), and via various web-based browsing
tools (e.g. OpenGrok).  *All* of these would have to be smart enough to
reformat to your indentation/formatting tastes -- else the whole thing
falls on its head.  I don't see that happening, so I see us always at
the ascii (or maybe Unicode) symbol level -- it's the common denominator
all tools can agree on, albeit necessarily the lowest common denominator.