On Sep 10, 2009, at 8:15 AM, Reinier Zwitserloot wrote:

> In an AST based editing environment, this problem goes away. At write
> time you must of course have the plugin available to you, at which

Not necessarily. If the AST spec was written correctly you could have
some sort of extensible block system (plugins, essentially).  If you
are writing a regex block then AST would contain some encoding of the
regex along with some metadata about the plugin that created it.  This
metadata could include a URL to download the plugin so that it works
when you are in another IDE. It would also contain some sort of
compilable representation, meaning you could still compile the code
even if you don't have that particular plugin available to you. You
just wouldn't be able to edit it.  Photoshop files do this. All text
layers are vectors but keep rasterized metadata.  If you don't have
the font that the layer was created with then you can't edit it, but
you can still view it and composite it with other layers. It degrades
gracefully. Now imagine if Photoshop not only told you the font you
were missing, but offered to download it as well. AWESOM-O!

> lit:Patt(ctrl+space to autocomplete it to java.util.regexp.Pattern)
> and then you type a regular expression; the job of marking the end is
> trivial where in raw character typing mode it's almost unsolvable.
>
> You can take this same idea even further and add support for macros:
> foreach could have been implemented as a macro, but this time, the AST
> node carries its origin  with it. This way, I can switch my editor at
> will, and type/read either in macro syntax, or in the desugared form.
> Making the IDE extensively pluggable would be so much easier. There
> would be no closure debate at all - those who like em use a macro
> plugin that renders closures as Anonymous Inner Class constructs.

I didn't follow the closure debate to closely, but I'm not sure this
is true. Aren't there things which closures can do (semantically) that
anonymous inner classes can't? Was it just syntax sugar?

> Because whitespace, import statements, and other ambiguities melt
> away, in certain ways the canonical textual representation (which ISNT
> how you're supposed to edit things and would be extremely unwieldy) is

Yes. It would probably be XML just to make life easier for tools (and
to allow by hand editing in the rare cases when you must fix
something) but 99% of the time the AST on disk representation is
simply a black box. You must always use the tools.

> The biggest issue remains that so much of the entirety of the
> development ecosystem is built around the notion that source lives as
> raw streams of characters. There would definitely have to be a human-
> readable canonical representation so you can interop with such tools
> until they also see the light. There may also be an interesting lesson
> in how many typical geeks doing professional writing use something
> like HTML or LaTeX, writing it essentially 'raw', instead of using
> open office or word. I think there are different reasons for that, but
> it is nevertheless interesting to see that shiny, graphical tools are
> losing to raw char streams in some areas.

Yep. Backwards compatibility is a bitch. :)

- J