While experienced programmers might not worry about the braces on a single
line, they become invaluable to any junior programmers.  I've trained a few
in which they couldn't understand why the following code segment simply
stopped working.  (Let's not even start a discussion about
System.out.println as a valid debugging tool, ok?   This is just an example
of a n00blet mistake )

for (int y = 0; y < lines; y++)
   for (int x = 0; x < columns; x++)
      System.out.println("The sum is: " + sum);
       sum += cells[y][x];

I agree that the braces add a bit of "clutter" to the visual look and feel
of code.  However,  I feel that it helps with the overall maintainability of
the code and therefore, I disregard the way that it looks.

--Ryan