not if we find a way around the chicken and egg problem.

brainstorm: assume a projection based system and no backwards
compatibility issues (an IDE and SCM and code review tool etc.
magically exists which supports the new system): then you could do:

* locked blocks. Parts of your code should be freely refactorable.
Other parts should be offlimits, except for special occasions. Your
SQL statements, for example, since they correspond to something
outside the code system (ie: the database).  What if you could mark
some blocks as locked so that they wouldn't be refactorable and would
give you a warning when you try to do so. You could still unlock it if
you decide it's what you really want to do, but this gives you
protection against accidental changes.  This is really just some
metadata stored on the blocks which editors agree to respect so that
you don't shoot yourself.

* postit notes: store notes to yourself and other developers in the
source. We do this today with comments, but it could be made more
rigorous, searchable, nicely highlighted etc. And you can make them
invisible when you don't want to see them anymore.

* inline unit tests. Why are your unit tests in a separate class. It
should be easy to put the test for a method right next to the method,
and hide it when you don't want to look at it. the test is stripped
when you compile for deployment.

* optimizations: creating optimizations as part of the compilation
step used to be the job of the compiler, but if you have a standard
AST format that is fed into the compiler then you could easily build
lots of cool optimizations between the code editor and the compiler,
rather than inside the compiler itself. This opens up such
optimizations to a much wider audience than just compiler hackers. I
expect we'd see a Cambrian Explosion of extensions and optimizations
very quickly.

- j