> outside the code system (ie: the database).  What if you could mark
> some blocks as locked so that they wouldn't be refactorable and would
> give you a warning when you try to do so. You could still unlock it if
> you decide it's what you really want to do, but this gives you
> protection against accidental changes.  This is really just some
> metadata stored on the blocks which editors agree to respect so that
> you don't shoot yourself.
> But this could be possible in the current Java (and would be even
> better if one could annotate blocks)
>
> @Lock
> {
>   //My horrid, fragile, code
> }
>
> And you can't edit anything withing the block unless you remove the
> @Lock-annotation...
>

> I like it

Oh, sure.  Pretty much everything I've talked about could be done
today, as evidenced by the cool things that IntelliJ does. Parsing
existing code into an AST and dev time lets you do all of these
things. But they are all ultimately hacks because it's the text file
which is authoritative instead of the AST. If the AST was
authoritative then all of these tricks would be more reliable, easier
to build, and more widely used.  (assuming we can some how get from
here to there).

- Josh