If you look at the statistics breakdown:
http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/nall.html
you will see that the majority of pilot errors are things like fuel
exhaustion,
_continuing_ flight into adverse weather conditions (as opposed to
turning around & land),
low level maneuvering 'buzzing'.

When driving, every mistake, a momentary lapse in concentration can
result in an accident,
thus 100% of total driving time is 'critical' time.

When flying, the critical time is about 5% of flight time, during
takeoffs and landings.
This is when lack of skill can result in a chain of events leading to
an accident,
and most of these are non-fatal.
The majority of fatal accidents are the result of improper decision
making, often started
before the flight even began, and isn't due to lack of flying skills.