I have a 1 TB wd mybook that I can use with both win and lin and comes
with ntfs.

The ntfs is somewhat slow under linux, at least the way I use it, so I
split it into an ext4 and an ntfs. I use rsync with the --link-dest so
that identical files share hard links among backups. What was so slow
before was deleting the oldest backup directory when it was on the
ntfs partition (now it takes 5 seconds instead of 90 minutes).

Hope that helps,
Greg