On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Scott Melton
<scott_rides_ag...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> No worries. That's just a flippant saying to reflect that the free market
> model is riddled with problems and yet it is the best model out there, IMHO.
>
> Free beer is good, but yes, the freedom for me as an individual to spend my
> time the way I see fit or lack of freedom to take advantage of someone's
> work without compensating him for it. Maybe our understanding of a (general)
> free market model is different?
>
> I would agree with your examples, in general, even though specifically I'd
> dispute most of them. The cave man who "invented" fire had a patent and was
> better off than his fireless buddies for a time. His patent was if someone
> tried to steal his property he would kill them. He had a monopoly punishable
> by death. I bet he got all the hot cave women...

You have evidence it was a sole individual who harnessed fire?

> In the absolute, I would agree that patents are not absolutely necessary
> for innovation. Some people would do it just for the sake of doing it. Most
> would not.

Is this fact or belief?

> Would you agree that patents and property rights greatly accelerate the
> rate of innovations, accelerating the growth of a free market economy?

No, I wouldn't, I have yet to see proof of this, on the contrary I see a lot
of innovation in the Open Source Community, and the Apache V2 license, that
gives you permission to make money off of my work without compensating me
for it, seems to be heavily used.

> Why would I would I work nights and weekends to come up with a solution to
> a real world problem if I knew that as soon as I did I received nothing for
> it?

Because you have your reasons? You actually enjoy solving problems? You want
to help people?

> The answer is I would not. I would do something where I would get rewarded
> instead.

So getting a kick out of solving a hard problem, or helping other people
isn't rewarding enough for you, but I promise you, there are a lot of people
out there who have their reasons to innovate without demanding monopolies.

> Camp, fish, raise kids, work a few extra hours for that new toy money, you
> get the picture.

Interestingly only the working extra part actually gave you a monetary
reward, perhaps you see that there can be a personal value in "charity"
work, or plain old hobbyism.

> Why would a pharmaceutical company spend millions on researching a new
> cancer drug if they knew they were just throwing money out the window?

I don't know about you, but atleast in the country I live, a big chunk of
the money that goes into pharmaceutical research is supplied by the
government, so basically taxes are used to finance it.
And I think we can agree on that the government has a lot to gain by
lowering costs for cancer treatment and loss of taxes because people are ill
and cannot work.

If they had to turn over the results to the market where their competitors,
> without investing millions, could turn around and use that knowledge against
> them?

You're basically saying that something like Android cannot work, since there
are multiple competing suppliers that use the same knowledge?

> Out of the goodness of their own humanity? I think not.
>
> People are going to randomly create things things that make their life
> easier or better. A patent(in a perfect world) helps motivate someone or
> business by ensuring that their investment in time and money will be a good
> one. I believe you must have some form of this in a free market economy. Yes
> it may be riddled with problems, yes at times it impedes growth, but without
> it I would argue that a free market economy would fail. Sort of a two steps
> forward, one step back approach as apposed to a very small baby step
> forward.

What I am saying is that as a member of society, a citizen, I want to see
the research that says that it's worth for me to pay for upholding
monopolies by approving of patent law. And if it turns out to be not
feasible, we should change it.