On Apr 14, 11:31 am, Fabrizio Giudici <fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it>
wrote:
> Yes, you have
> to spend more, but you'd spend much much more if you had to develop
> completely different stuff for each platform. It sounds as we're
> stepping back of ten years.

I think that the world has stepped forward in that sense - the mobile
space is hyper-competitive now, with some of the biggest companies in
the world trying to out-innovate each other (Apple, Google, Microsoft,
Nokia).  It took Microsoft nearly ten years to ship four major client
OS versions (Windows 2000 - Windows 7) - Google shipped five major
Android versions in fifteen months.  Apple will ships at least two
major iPhone OS version a year (and this year probably three).

So if you're Adobe (or Oracle or Microsoft), and you want to put a
cross-platform framework on top of these quick moving targets and
Windows/Mac, how do you do this?  You focus on the least-common
denominator, leaving aside the platform-exclusive stuff, and you try
to get one release out each year, two max.  The Sun JDK has shipped
major new functionality about every two years in the recent past, the
Flash Player about every 1.5 years, and that was just on Windows/Mac/
Linux; none of them are in "mass-production" on mobile devices.  So
sure, you can build apps cheaper this way, but even if you can produce
a native look & feel, they'll probably miss a lot of the cool new API
stuff that's available to the native apps.  Some platforms may allow
to build these "lesser apps" (e.g., Flash on Android), other don't
(iPhone).