given IE is used heavily in corporate IT deparments (most of the hold
outs for IE6 are there I bet) - they would probably have a way to turn
off auto update to be under Mordac the Preventers (ITs) control. Ie
they will never update it as IT departments hate talking to people
lest there be some compatibility issue with some god-forsaken internal
app built by the cheapest bidder by barely-developers who couldn't
ever get a better job anywhere, ever.

This is how we got here.