Unit testing is to be done by developers most of the time. However, I
agree that this is just not that  effective unless succeeded by
integration & stress testing.....
Clearly,we need a lot of different testing at different levels before
we even think of our products being useful. unit tests being
over-rated or not,will depend on the results from the same.

Regards,
jd