No, I don't think so... though I have scalability problems and even simple
queries that Hibernate/Ehcache for some reason refuse to cache.

I end up having to debug (which I really hate) hibernate and ehcache code to
figure out the whys...

That and the problem that it's not trivial to have different fetching
strategies for the same instances...

A year ago I built an app without hibernate, just straight jdbc. Didn't have
to know about hibernate interceptors and transformers and what not... the
code was much easier to follow... I could cherry pick a lot better where,
how and with what to cache and which strategies to use on locking... I used
mostly immutable objects which also helped a lot on the rest of the code...

Hibernate has its place of course and solves a lot of problems but my view
of frameworks is "Avoid them if you can, use them if you must."