I certainly noticed the software was slower than I though it should be
particularly for checking stock. I don't know if hibernate was to
blame for that. There were some types of searches which were too slow
and would lock up the software for ages if not enough search criteria
were provided. I also thought it was a bit silly calling the software
Eclipse given that the name is already used for something else.

The data used for the software used a local cached database for
performance and redundancy which would synch periodically with the
central database. I would have thought queries for an on site database
should have been pretty fast. The fact that a cached database was used
meant that checks of stock levels at other outlets could end up being
stale and not guaranteed to be up to date. For this reason if an
outlet showed only one of an item in stock it was best not to trust
that they actually had.

I just worked there as a Christmas job in my final year of University.
It was the best paid student job I did.