Complex?  Actually Java is a pretty simple language.  Ruby/Python/
Scala/Groovy all have many more features and richer syntax than Java.

The APIs are overly complex.  And these APIs set a precedent for
creating over-engineered super abstract solutions which unfortunately
most people followed.   I mean so we really have to look at everything
as streams when a string will suffice 95% of the time?  Or look at the
java mail API.  Could you make the simple use case of sending a text
email any harder?

Verbose?  Yep.  I'll agree there..... in making java language
constructs simple, this resulted in quite a bit of verbosity (no
properties/events/closures/operator overloading/etc).  It was an over-
reaction to C++'s complexity.  Strip the language down to almost
nothing....

Not productive?  I'll agree here too.  Java the language is some of
the problem.... why in 2010 can't I do:  String blah = "Hello $
{user.name}, your account ${account.number} is assigned.".  why can't
we use String blah = ' "no need to escape my "s! ' and other little
things like that.... but these are just irritants really.
The real problem isn't java so much as it is all the frameworks.  Ant
is an absolute abomination.  XML is not a scripting language! How in
God's name did people blindly go down this path of using xml for
automation/builds?  It has led to undebugable build hell, build.xml
files calling build.xml files calling build.xml files.  It has led to
java trailing all other languages in automation.

Other problem frameworks :  JSF (xml hell), Axis (ever hear of dynamic
binding? no, we must generate every stub - your time is not
important), OSGi (reduce coupling by making it impossible to get
anything done), Struts (could we have any more layers of indirection?)

I still have't found a java web framework I like, so I use rails.  But
roo and play both look promising.... java needs more of this type of
approach IMO