Obviously this is totally dependant on how everything turns out, and what
Oracle really wants here, but I think that Martin has historical precedent
behind his arguments.

The highly litigious developer-bashing attitude of Oracle is reminiscent of
Microsoft's past.
They did realise their mistake eventually, when Steve Balmer came out with
his now-infamous "developers, developers, developers" speech, and nobody
trusted him
Apple, at the same time, promised to make their machines "The best platform
for Java developers"

The shift in mindshare from MS to Apple since then is obvious (just count
macbooks at any Java conference), and now that Apple has an Objective-C
tarpit whilst MS has channel9, the pendulum is swinging back.

In taking ownership of Java, Oracle has now put themselves in a position of
being vulnerable to the same forces.
This will hit them in their bottom line, their cash cow database, with
technical decision makers no longer trusting them and instead migrating to
alternate vendors or NoSQL solutions by way of protest.

Just consider Terracotta, who has a main selling point of reducing in Oracle
DB usage, and therefore license fees.  They won't be the first...

On 17 August 2010 09:33, Wildam Martin <mwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:48, Miroslav Pokorny
> <miroslav.poko...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes they dont exist in isolation,
> > but its not like current customers have an option, they cant just leave
> > Oracle products, its not like there are drop in replacements. Its just
> > cheaper and easier to continue as is, rather than drastically changing
> > things.
>
> Of course not in the short-term. But in the long term things are
> different. You can just choose to create the next new database not on
> Oracle and five years later world may look different.
>
> --
> Martin Wildam
>
> http://www.google.com/profiles/mwildam

Kevin Wright