It seems to me that some camps liked the benefits of fat client
technologies like those based on Swing and co because of the benefits
in richness that is offered over web pages. Yes we appreciate that
javascript is more error prone than java coding, but why was there no
mention of GWT which addresses and solves many of these problems.
While not perfect, in terms of solving browser nasties over CSS and
other rendering problems it is a great step forward...