On 8 September 2010 14:35, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clark...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The type is "some class with a + method".  That really is all that
> matters.
>
> That's true when determining that the code will compile, but not for
> determining its meaning.

My meaning really is just "Add 2 to this bunch of things that can have 2
added to them"
Any more is second-guessing what you think the compiler needs, but it
certainly isn't helping comprehension

I genuinely feel that it gets in the way to state, at that point in the
code: "Thou shalt use this code with integers, and only integers, and
integers shall be the only type that is used"

> > So I could define a `*` method on my type that fires missiles, it's true!
> > I could also define a `multiply` method that does the same thing, why is
> > this any less evil that the well-known symbol for multiplication?
>
> The name * is not important.  This is not about operator overloading.
> My original example would be equivalent if I had used multiply.

True, but now it's a problem in any language, and certainly isn't limited to
closures.

> >> You won't find me arguing against adding closures to Java!
> >
> > Wait until you see the syntax for checked exceptions :)
>
> I received and reported bugs on Gafter's BGGA prototype before it was
> released (Gafter fixed them all amazingly quickly, an inspiration).  I
> doubt I can be shocked!
>
> > I think that java does need an IDE, if only to avoid a lot of the
> > repetition.
> > accessors/constructor injecton/equals/hashcode spring to mind here...
>
> I don't actually find myself writing or reading as much of that as the
> blogosphere would make out.  Perhaps that's because I'm not using JEE,
> I don't know.

Having to work in something like e.g. Spring definitely compounds the
problem here... and it does seem to be so very ubiquitous :)
A large part of my concern over Java is not just the language itself, but
some of the designs and techniques that the language seems to encourage,
such as JavaBeans.

It *is* possible to do better in Java:
http://codemonkeyism.com/generation-java-programming-style/

but the language is very set in its ways, and many developers are just
adverse to any change.

Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright