> IntelliJ can, Eclipse has it on the roadmap. Netbeans... I just don't know

Excellent.  I keep meaning to set the IDEA plugin up again.

>> It would matter if you made YourType.*(Int) fire the missiles instead
>> of multiply.  Think that's unreasonable?  Consider List("hello",
>> "world") map (_ + 2)
>
> That would return `List("hello2", "world2")`, it's valid code

But it's code that you need to know the type of _ to understand.

> What do you mean by the `YourType.*(Int)` notation?  It's not valid syntax
> in either Java or Scala.

A method named * on the type YourType that takes an Int as a parameter.

> If it's possible to show the "closure" in a folded form, and still know
> everything about it that you need to, then why not just have the folded form
> as default language syntax?

You won't find me arguing against adding closures to Java!

> I'm also trying to get up to speed with emacs (a third set of bindings!) now
> I've appreciated that Scala doesn't need an IDE so much.

My experience is that well-written projects, in Scala or Java, don't
really require an IDE.  The majority of code I've seen does not fit
into that category.  It's less of a problem for Scala because grunts*
don't really use it.

* I don't mean to be derogatory here, but I don't have a good word for
a programmer who doesn't program or learn anything about programming
outside working hours.