Did I miss something?  Did the discussion suddenly turn to project
management while I blinked, or to the issues of delivery and operations?

My understanding is that we were talking of the specific agile practice of
regularly learning a new programming language, the reasons to do so, the
problems with various programming languages, the benefits of specific
choices, and the solutions that they're able to offer.

By all means, I'd be happy to discuss the wider picture of why I think a
highly maintainable language is relevant, the importance of refactoring and
composability, the benefits of a REPL for exploratory coding, how it all
fits into a continuous deployment setup, the time-to-market advantages in
doing this and how it all boosts shareholder value.

There's another big picture that you're missing here.  Namely that brevity
is not a goal, time spent typing is such a small portion of programming that
there's really no benefit in just reducing keystrokes.  On the other hand,
comprehensibility and flexibility are very important - for all the reasons
stated above.  If brevity goes hand in hand with these goals (and it does
seem to), then so be it!

Of course, we're no longer within the "New Language Each Year" topic by this
stage, but I can't be held responsible for the original choice of topic.
 Nor can I be held responsible for anyone else's opinion of what is or is
not "real world", it's a very subjective idea.

2010/9/7 Cédric Beust ♔ <ced...@beust.com>

> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Kevin Wright <kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> The problem is that Java is too verbose, laden with boilerplate, and
>> poorly suited to a natural expression of several concepts that we find
>> incredibly easy to think about.
>

> The problem is that you keep missing the big picture. You focus so much on
> code brevity and readability (a very subjective notion) and you are not
> hearing what everyone running project in the real world is telling you.
>
> There is a lot more at stake to deliver successful products than the
> implementation language.
>
> As a matter of fact, you try to ram the code brevity argument *again* just
> below.
>
> I love discussing languages and digressing occasionally about topics I feel
> passionate about, but honestly Kevin, you keep repeating yourself over and
> over again and that's not exactly doing the Scala community much good.
>
> --
> Cédric
>

>  --

Kevin Wright