On Sep 9, 11:59 pm, Casper Bang <casper.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, well you still fail to mention some of these - it's rather easy to
> throw out a number like that. Cross platform UI can work yes, but what
> I am saying is that they don't work well enough to be worth the
> trouble. Which other programming language or platform mandates a UI?
> Can you honestly claim Swing has not been an underachiever on the
> desktop? Even newer JVM languages like Fantom have abandoned Swing.

Cross platform GUI is not worth the trouble? That's a pretty extreme
blanket statement. Like most things, it's a perfect fit for some
projects and not so for others. HTML/JS and Flash are all cross
platform GUI, and I'd hope that I don't need to list applications to
convince you that they are successful.

Are you saying desktop/applet Java isn't technically competent or
hasn't been popularly adopted? To me, it's definitely both widely
adopted and technically excellent. It's not a technical fit for all
projects: for many apps I would want a GUI in HTML, or for a console
video game or a web browser I would believe that C/C++ and lower-level
GUI SDKs are a better fit, but for other projects where you want Mac/
Windows/Linux compatability and want more GUI functionality than HTML/
JS provides, desktop/applet Java is a great toolset.

I actually started typing up a list of technically amazing or popular
Java dekstop/browser apps, but honestly, I would feel ridiculous
posting it. The prevalence of this technology is just too obvious.

And sure, newer projects like Fantom, are not using Swing... JavaFX
didn't use Swing either. I don't think Swing is some eternal timeless
perfect tool. Developers are always trying to make better tools. Lots
of amazing apps use it, the Linux/Windows/Mac cross platform nature is
huge for many projects, and when comparing Java to Mono, this is a
major omission on Mono's part.