> Cross platform GUI is not worth the trouble? That's a pretty extreme
> blanket statement. Like most things, it's a perfect fit for some
> projects and not so for others. HTML/JS and Flash are all cross
> platform GUI, and I'd hope that I don't need to list applications to
> convince you that they are successful.

That's different, they don't try to emulate the native environment on
the target machine (no L&F). And HTML/JS is much more than a UI layer.

> Are you saying desktop/applet Java isn't technically competent or
> hasn't been popularly adopted? To me, it's definitely both widely
> adopted and technically excellent. It's not a technical fit for all
> projects: for many apps I would want a GUI in HTML, or for a console
> video game or a web browser I would believe that C/C++ and lower-level
> GUI SDKs are a better fit, but for other projects where you want Mac/
> Windows/Linux compatability and want more GUI functionality than HTML/
> JS provides, desktop/applet Java is a great toolset.

That is not my experiences, you generally can NOT just expect a Swing
app to look and feel correct all over. I have written a fair amount of
Swing and it's more complex and slower performing than native
bindings. You'll find the menu bar wrong placed on Mac, widget
background discolored on Linux, EDT paint issues etc. So this is
actually about the only point I agree with Steve Jobs on; native
widget toolkit is the only way to go if you want to make your users
happy.

> I actually started typing up a list of technically amazing or popular
> Java dekstop/browser apps, but honestly, I would feel ridiculous
> posting it. The prevalence of this technology is just too obvious.

lol Aha well there's solid argument if I ever saw one.

> And sure, newer projects like Fantom, are not using Swing... JavaFX
> didn't use Swing either. I don't think Swing is some eternal timeless
> perfect tool. Developers are always trying to make better tools. Lots
> of amazing apps use it, the Linux/Windows/Mac cross platform nature is
> huge for many projects, and when comparing Java to Mono, this is a
> major omission on Mono's part.

Yet look at how well they are doing; invading Linux, Android, iPhone/
iPad etc. I still say you will be hard pressed finding popular Java
desktop applications beyond the developer crowd but I guess we'll just
have to agree to disagree.