Totally, I'll just read what I'm given - or reformat in an IDE if it's
*really* bad (e.g. written with a different tab size other than 4)

I'm also finding that the guideline 2 space indents in Scala is a nice
visual reminder as to which language I'm working in, more than once I've
found myself typing `val x = ...` in Java code!

Scala does have a bit more syntactic flexibility that Java does, but the
choices available are in a similar category to bracket placement in Java
(i.e. you may prefer to write in a different style to the code you're
looking at, but that won't really make it unreadable).  The choice of
paradigm (imperative/functional/type classes/etc.) is more likely to cause
problems than the choice of syntax, but - again - this is of a similar level
to encountering something like singletons or the visitor pattern for the
first time.

Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright