On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Reinier Zwitserloot <reini...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have no idea how any of this is related to giving programmers the
> ability to bicker endlessly about pointless trivialities such as tabs.
> v spaces, and/or the strange notion that giving programmers the
> ability to louse up their indents is more important than generating
> useful and localized error messages when there are syntax errors.

I'm guessing it is a typo, but there is a very funny mental image of adding
a specific bug to your code by throwing parasites into your indents. :)

My contention is simply that formatting should be a tool used for
readability.  If you only format code because your language demands it, you
likely aren't formatting it to be read by a person.  If you never add any
white space because you just don't see the point, you are likely not using
enough.   I don't think this is unique to programming.

And I completely reject the idea that programs are not meant to be read by
people.  I have lost the delusion that others will read my code; however,
when I come back to try to understand what I was trying to do again later, I
want that to be as pleasant an experience as possible.  :)