Sorry, I think I mis-stated my question.  I know that Oracle has many,
many people that are senior technically and very talented.

Sun, however, had a fairly unique concept that allowed technical folks
to move to positions of greater and greater influence without moving
into management. Sun, had the concept of fellows, distinguished
engineers, etc.  It is more of a research oriented model.  With less
and less research funding, many companies have abandoned this approach
(IBM may be one of the few left).  My impression, though it is only
based on hearsay, is that Oracle's approach is one where career
advancement requires a transition into management positions having
increasingly more business decisions and fewer technical ones.  I am
not saying it was right or wrong, just asking if Sun is one of the
last companies to embrace engineering as a peer to management.  Make
more sense?

LES